Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Church of St. John the Divine



An easy subway ride from 72nd street put me at the 110th street, or Cathedral Station very quickly.  From there I walked the couple of blocks to the Cathedral.  I was extremely early, but I wanted to see about tours and the website wasn't especially easy to use to make a reservation. I got my ticket for the Highlights Tour and the "Vertical" Tour (in which you climb to the top of the cathedral with a guide).
I highly recommend both tours..... maybe not necessarily back to back the way I did it!  I wandered the grounds looking for a sunny bench to sit on until the tour began..... found a great garden on the side and then a Biblical Garden very secluded toward the rear.  




Wandering the garden were 2 peacocks which I completely forgot to ask about once I was on the tour.. Maybe I can find out the information online.....





The first leg of the climbing tour was the toughest but I was not the oldest of the folks touring.  After that first climb, each of the successive ones was only a flight or 2.  The steps were narrow and winding but not scary.  They kept one guide in front and one at the rear.  The views along the way were spectacular.....





Once you see the sights from a rooftop perch you actually go back inside where you are under the roof but above the cathedral.... pretty strange view..... I hope the photos do it justice.....

No comments:

Post a Comment